History of Puddicombe House
Step deep into Ontario history as you pass through the doors leading to Puddicombe House in New Hamburg.
Built in 1868, in the elegant Italianate architectural style, it first served as the home of Samuel Merner, a prominent New Hamburg businessman and politician.
Merner spared no expense in construction or decorative details of his grand house. Located on Peel Street in the central downtown of the town, the exterior boasted characteristic Italianate gables, gracious porches and heavily ornamented windows.
The interior competed favourably with the exterior in elegance. Twelve foot ceilings, ornamented bay windows and burnished wooden floors lend an air of grandeur to Puddicombe.
In 1888, Merner sold his house to New Hamburg resident Robert Puddicombe. Over the next 8 decades various members of the Puddicombe family lived in the home. In 1969, Puddicombe House was again sold and divided into 6 rental units. History lovers feared for the future of the historic building.
In 2004, the Cressman family of New Hamburg purchased Puddicombe House. Plans saw the building converted to a commercial business, featuring a restaurant, bed and breakfast, spa and hair salon. Preserving and honouring Puddicombe’s architectural and historical history was paramount in the Cressman plans.
The New Year of 2016 saw the opening of the Puddicombe Banquet and Event Hall. Located to the rear of Puddicombe House, the Hall is architecturally-designed to complement the original building. Puddicombe Banquet Hall welcomes weddings and other celebrations for up to 250 guests.